Alcohol Sale (TABC) Certifications
The sale of beer, wine, and mixed beverages (all alcoholic beverages) is permitted within the city limits of Georgetown, as of last local option election on November 4, 2021, with a Permit issued by Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission. To verify that your location is inside the city limits of Georgetown, please visit our city limits map. All in-city locations seeking to obtain a permit from the TABC must have their application certified by the City Secretary (see below for the permitting process).
Chapter 6.40 – Alcoholic Beverages, of the City Code regulates the local requirements, including fees and minimum distance requirements. Unless otherwise permitted by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, it is unlawful for a person to sell or engage in the business of selling any alcoholic beverage where the place of business is located within 300 feet of a church, public or private school or public hospital. Or, within 1,000 feet of a public or private school if the City Council receives a request from the board of trustees of a school district or a request from the governing body of the private school to restrict the sales. Waivers may be issued by Council. Hours of allowable sale are listed in the code. Currently, Georgetown does not allow late-night sales, authorizing the holder to sell and/or serve between the hours of midnight and 2 a.m.
Obtaining a Certification
- Contact the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) to begin the process and obtain a pre-qualification packet or initiate the AIMS application.
- The pre-qualification packet or printed online application must be certified by the City Secretary, as well as the Williamson County Clerk, before being finally submitted to TABC.
- Prior to obtaining approval and a City Secretary signature for the application, please contact the City Secretary’s office at 512-930-3651 or firstname.lastname@example.org for verification of location and availability.
- Applications can be delivered to 808 Martin Luther King Jr Street (City Hall). It is recommended that you call at least 24 hours in advance before coming to City Hall.
- Applications, with fee included, may be sent via mail or courier, with a postage pre-paid, return envelope.
- The City of Georgetown charges a local fee, authorized by the TABC. Here are local fees that are charged. City of Georgetown fees must be submitted with the application for approval. Only cash or checks are accepted at this time.
For all other questions regarding Local Alcoholic Beverage Certifications, please contact the City Secretary’s office at 512-930-3651.