May 2, 2020 GENERAL ELECTION
The City of Georgetown will be conducting a General Election for the following positions: Mayor, Council Member District 2, and Council Member District 6. The Mayor and Council Members serve terms of three years. The persons elected to these positions will be in office until May of 2023. The Mayor is elected at-large, and the Council Members are elected from single-member districts.
NOTICE OF DRAWING FOR PLACE ON BALLOT
(AVISO DEL SORTEO PARA UN LUGAR EN LA BOLETA)
Notice is hereby given of a drawing to determine the order in which the names of candidates are to be printed on the ballot for the election to be held on Saturday, May 2, 2020 in Georgetown, Texas. The drawing will be held at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 20, 2020, at 808 Martin Luther King Jr. Street – City Hall Lobby, Georgetown, Texas.
Por lo presente se da aviso que habrá un sorteo para determinar la orden en que aparecerán los nombres de los candidatos en la boleta para la elección que se celebrará el Sábado 2 de mayo de 2020, en Georgetown, Texas. El sorteo tendrá lugar a las 4:00p.m. el Jueves, 20 de febrero de 2020, a 808 Martin Luther King Jr. Street – Vestíbulo del ayuntamiento, Georgetown, Texas.
NOTICE OF DEADLINE TO FILE APPLICATIONS FOR PLACE ON THE BALLOT
(AVISO DE FECHA LÍMITE PARA PRESENTAR SOLICITUDES PARA UN LUGAR EN LA BOLETA)
Notice is hereby given that applications for a place on the City of Georgetown Regular Election ballot may be filed during the following time:
(Se da aviso por la presente que las solicitudes para un lugar en la boleta de la Elección Regular de City of Georgetown se pueden presentar durante el siguiente horario:)
Filing Dates and Times:
(Fechas y Horario para Entregar Solicitudes)
Start Date (Fecha Inicio) Wednesday, January 15, 2020
End Date (Fecha Límite) Friday, February 14, 2020
Office Hours (Horario de la Oficina): 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Physical address for filing applications in person for place on the ballot:
(Dirección a física para presentar las solicitudes en persona para un lugar en la boleta)
Georgetown City Hall
808 Martin Luther King Jr. Street
Georgetown, TX 78626
Address to mail applications for place on the ballot (if filing by mail):
(Dirección a donde enviar las solicitudes para un lugar en la boleta (en caso de presentar por correo)
City of Georgetown
PO Box 409
Georgetown, TX 78626
To get more information regarding the 2020 Election dates from Secretary of State: https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/voter/2020-important-election-dates.shtml
For further details about City Elections, contact City Secretary Robyn Densmore at Robyn.Densmore@georgetown.org (512) 931-7715.
A vote center is a Countywide polling location where any registered voter may cast their vote. Vote Centers are all electronic and eliminate the Election Day requirement of having to vote in the polling location specific to your voting precinct. With Vote Centers, a voter can choose the most convenient polling location in the County during Early Voting and Election Day.
Click on the link below, which takes you to the Secretary of State’s website to locate your precinct: https://team1.sos.state.tx.us/voterws/viw/faces/SearchSelectionVoter.jsp
According to the Texas Secretary of State, a photo ID is required for voting in the November 5 election. Forms of identification accepted include:
• Texas drivers license issued by DPS
• Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
• Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
• Texas concealed handgun license
• U.S. military identification card containing the person’s photograph
• U.S. citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
• U.S. passport
Candidate Packet and forms for May 2, 2020 Election
Election packets, with all of the required forms for candidates, may be downloaded here or picked up at City Hall, 808 Martin Luther King, Jr. Street. Completed applications for candidacy should be submitted to the City Secretary, Robyn Densmore, at City Hall, 808 Martin Luther King, Jr. Street.
* A Council candidate must be 18 on the first day of the term to be filled and must have been a resident of the District for the 6 months immediately preceding the filing deadline, in accordance with state law.
The Election Code authorizes home rule cities to adopt age and residency requirements greater than those in state law, but such local provisions cannot require a candidate to be more than 21 on the first day of the term and cannot require residency in the District for longer than 12 months immediately preceding election day. Otherwise, the local provision is void, and the applicable statute would apply. The Charter requires a candidate to be 21 at the time of election, which in turn requires the candidate to be greater than 21 years on the first day of the term (as the term will always commence after the election). Similarly, the Charter requires a candidate to be a resident of the District for 12 months prior to the filing deadline, which in turn requires the candidate to be a resident for 15 months preceding election day (as the filing deadline is 3 months before election day). Therefore, the Charter’s age and residency requirements are both void and the requirements of state law apply.
- 2020 Candidate Packet Table of Contents
- General Information for 2020 Candidates
- May 2020 Elections Calendar
- Application for General Election Ballot May 2020
- Campaign Finance Local Guide 2020
- Amendment Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer – Guide
- Declaration of Write-in Candidacy – English and Spanish
- Georgetown Home Rule Charter
- 2030 Plan Executive Summary
- Unified Development Code Sign Standards
- Political Advertising – What You Need to Know
- 2020 Important Election Dates: https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/2020-important-election-dates.shtml
- Campaign Finance Guide for Candidates
- Fair Campaign Practices – Chapter 258
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices – Form CFCP
- Candidate Officeholder Campaign Finance Report
- Candidate Officeholder Report of Unexpended Contributions Instruction Guide
- Candidate Officeholder Report of Unexpended Contributions FORM COH-UC
ADDITIONAL HELPFUL LINKS:
- Williamson County
- Georgetown Independent School District
- Secretary of State
- Texas Attorney General
- Texas Ethics Commission Info
- State of Texas
- Voter Registration
- What Precinct do I Live In? (registered voters only)